Tips for Care After Breast Implant Surgery:
1. Ensure that you have arranged for a friend or relative to take you home after your surgery, and stay with you for at least the first 24 hours, preferably the first 48 hours. This is VERY important.
2. Do not have unreasonable expectations regarding the results of your operation. Speak with your surgeon in as much detail as possible about the kind of results you can expect from this procedure. If you have any doubts, clarify them!
3. Purchase some larger sized bras before having this procedure (preferably the cup-size that you would like to be post your procedure). This way you will be prepared after your breast implants and will not have to wear older bras which are smaller in size.
4. Remember to drink a good amount of water in the days before your operation. Doing so may assist in warding off nausea after your oepration (which usually happens as a result of anesthesia).
5. It may help to practice sleeping on your back as you may have to sleep in this manner for a few days (at the very least) after your surgical procedure.
6. Be sure to talk to your surgeon with regards to any medicines and / or vitamins that you may be taking. Also, tell them about any homeopathic or herbal remedies that you are undergoing.
7. Don’t consume any alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours prior to your breast implant.
8. Remember to remove ALL your jewellery and / or piercings prior to your surgical procedure.
9. Ensure that you have your surgeon’s contact number, in addition to the emergency / after-hours contact number in your phone. You may not need these numbers but you definitely want to have these handy. It is not a good strategy to have to start looking for your surgeon and / or emergency phone numbers when in pain. Also, we suggest that you give these numbers to at least one family member and / or friend as a backup.
10. It is important that you get a good amount of rest. We suggest you do so even if you get the feeling that you are recovering well. Give your body enough time and rest to heal well, and do not put any pressure on it by engaging in activities that may be strenuous. Often times, people underestimate the importance of getting enough rest, which in turn can lead to an increase in their pain and a slowing down of their recovery process.
11. Wear comfortable clothes (preferably loose-fitting and easy to wear) to surgery. It is best to wear clothes that can be worn easily.
12. Make proper arrangements to care for your children and preferably even yourself. It is advisable to have someone stay with you for at least a day after your breast surgery. This way you can be sure that in case of need, you will be taken care of.
These are just some of the tips that we suggest to anyone considering a breast augmentation surgery. Remember, being prepared prior to and post surgery will enable you to have a better experience and enjoy all the benefits of getting this cosmetic surgery.